All photos and processing by me.
Why are we doing what we do, instead of not doing it? We all have habits, things that we do without really thinking about them. However, from time to time, we hesitate. Dilemmas, uncertainty, hard choices, doubts.
I do not know how everyone is handling such situation. As far as I'm concerned, I often try to weight pros and cons, as objectively as I can. Those two sides love to fight in my head: this is what I wanted to represent in my image. One side of my personality can be hard, disapproving any compromise (represented by the porcelain man, breaking instead of bending), while the other side can be much softer (the darkest man). Here, they are fighting over a decision, which is symbolized by the bird. I had a precise situation in my head when creating my picture, but in the end, it doesn't matter much, as any difficult decision could have been represented similarly.
Technically, here are the main photos that I took for this project:
- The background is completely real, I did not alter it at all. It is a crypt located in the upper part of the Mont Saint-Michel. Since the place is about 3h away from home, it took me a day to obtain it, but I think it was worth it. Incredible place.
- I posed for the 2 men photos. As you can imagine, the positions had to be well prepared, first as a drawing, then in reality. I used various tricks to help me hold the appropriate position; for example, when posing for the liquid man, I was holding a rope in my mouth that was attached to the wall behind me, to help me bend my neck and back.
- The bird photo required around 3 hours of hunting, as ravens love to flee when you want to photograph them.
- The splashes were realized by throwing items in a large bowl of milk.
- Finally, for the broken porcelain, I bought 4 white vases that I broke in my home studio. Photos were taken during the act, to obtain realistic projections, then also when the pieces were on the floor.
I am well aware that symbolism can be hard to understand at times, but I hope some will like it anyway!